OMBO helps to protect the University’s intellectual property assets, and reduce liability and risk to the campus by:
- Ensuring the integrity of the trademarks.
- Overseeing the use of the University’s name – review and approve requests from campus departments and student groups wishing to use the University’s marks on product, media or other promotional activities
- Ensuring compliance with University of California and Berkeley Campus policies, as well as state, federal and international laws
- Approving language in contracts associated with the use of the University's name, trademarks, trade names, or logos
- Serving as campus liaison and responding to inquiries regarding Code of Conduct for Trademark Licenses related to Berkeley licensed merchandise
- Issuing warning letters to individuals or companies that use the University's trademarks without authorization
- Managing the international licensing program – reinforce and position UC Berkeley as a worldwide brand